Advantages of Print Marketing
Among the top advantages for using print marketing strategies for your business are that it’s physical, personal, and highly targetable. Combined, these three elements help to increase conversion rates and generate new customers.
Let’s take a closer look.
Print marketing materials like direct mail provide a unique opportunity for businesses to enhance the sensory experience felt by the customer when taking in their brand’s message.
For example, have you noticed that certain smells trigger your brain to recall specific memories, often from an event that occurred many years ago?
According to an article published by Psychology Today, this curious phenomenon is because smells are first processed by the olfactory bulb, which starts in the nose and then has a direct connection to two areas of the brain that are implicated in emotion and memory.
Armed with this information, companies are beginning to use smells and other physical sensations in their print marketing campaigns.
Here are a few examples of how this strategy could be successful:
- A bakery using the smell of fresh-baked bread to trigger fond childhood memories, making the prospect more likely to visit their store.
- A retail store using scented postcards to advertise their new line of soaps or perfumes.
- A landscaping company infusing the smell of freshly cut grass into a direct mail ad.
The use of multiple sensations in marketing is something that cannot be replicated by digital media.
Print marketing also provides a unique opportunity to establish a highly personal connection between your brand and your customers.
For example, companies can address each recipient by name, something that is sure to grab the reader’s attention.
Interestingly, despite the misconception that digital marketing is the only way to reach a younger audience, the personal connection provided by print marketing is something that’s highly appreciated by millennials and Gen Zers.
It’s Highly Targetable
There are also a number of strategies that can be used to effectively target your print marketing campaigns towards a specific audience.
This helps to cut costs and increase the ROI on every dollar you spend on print marketing.
Canada Post even has a specific tool called the Precision Targeter that allows you to target a direct audience for your mail campaigns. According to Canada Post, the Precision Targeter allows you to:
- Choose from 14 different demographic categories based on things like age, type of residency, and walking distance from your business.
- Use interactive maps to target specific neighbourhoods or regions.
- Adjust routes based on the type of campaign you’re running.
With features like these, it becomes extremely easy to optimize your campaigns and maximize response rates.